The Innocence Project of Texas (IPTX) was founded by Amarillo criminal defense attorney Jeff Blackburn in 2005.
In the almost 11 years of our existence, IPTX has exonerated (when a prisoner's conviction is overturned and all charges are dropped by a district attorney) six men. Several other cases continue to work their their way through the legal process.
In 2015, IPTX experienced a dramatic leadership change when both Chief Counsel Jeff Blackburn and Executive Director Nick Vilbas left the organization. The board appointed former board member and longtime supporter Mike Ware as the new executive director and chief counsel. The IPTX office was moved to Fort Worth from Lubbock.
Below we list those individuals who have been influential in our development and success.
Former Executive Directors
- Rania Batrice
- Scott Henson
- Natalie Roetzel
- Nick Vilbas
- Catherine Whitworth
Former Board Members
- Bruce Anton | Dallas, TX
- Shirley Baccus-Lobel | Dallas, TX
- Jeff Blackburn | Founder, Chief Counsel of IPTX | Amarillo, TX
- Nicole Casarez | Houston, TX
- Steve Egger | Clear Lake, TX
- Alexandra Gauthier | Austin, TX
- Catherine Greene Burnett | Houston, TX
- Bill Habern | Huntsville, TX
- Peter Lesser | Dallas, TX
- Gianpaolo Macerola | Houston, TX
- Jani Maselli | Houston, TX
- Anthony Robinson | Houston, TX
- Sarah Roland | Denton, TX
- Katherine Scardino | Houston, TX
- Mike Ware | Fort Worth, TX
- Bob Wicoff | Houston, TX
- Phillip Wischkaemper | Lubbock, TX
- James Woodard | Exoneree | Dallas, TX | Deceased